Tailcone – Part 2

First step in this video is the bending of the longerons.  I was worried about how this work work and was pretty cautious on how hard I was hitting them with the mallet.  HA!  I ended up really beating on these things pretty hard to get the “slight” bend that was necessary.  Give it 3-5 good hits with the rubber mallet while pre-loading the end of the channel, then take it out of the clamp and test fit it against the side skins.  Honestly after getting more aggressive I did get the proper bend in both of the longerons.  (Later on I was quite happy that when I installed the longeron and it fit perfectly!)

Next, its time time to clean up the garage and move my workbenches against the wall to give myself a place to begin the actual assembly.  Ended up taking a moment to look around to try to figure out where I was going to store everything.  Also realized I needed to get a new set of adjustable saw-horses since the ones I have were not tall enough.   (Later on I ended up moving the Horizontal Stabilizer out of the garage and into my basement just so I don’t end up tripping over it or accidentally damaging it. )

Took a little time getting the ribs / bulkheads installed on the bottom skin.  Looks like I lost some of the video of me putting the J-channel on the bottom skin and match-drilling, however that was pretty straight forward, just make sure that you can see the blue-line on the J-channel was centered in the holes.  Next I install the bell-crank brackets and realize I need to move the sawhorses.  I actually have a number of instances where I could have used a second set of hands to move things around more efficiently.  But instead I try to do it all myself and am not very graceful.  🙂

I then grab the side-skin that I was temporarily storing in my livingroom and get ready to cleco to the tailcone assembly.  I install the J-Channel on the ribs and begin to cleco o the side-skin.  While getting everything ready, I realized that I needed another rib/bulkhead installed, however one of the J-channel pieces on the bottom skin was too long.  Easy enough to fix with and I’m back to putting the side skin on the tailcone.  Once attached, I change the camera angle up to give a better view as I match-drill all the J-channel stiffeners.   I did experience the need for a metric-ton of 3/32 Clecos.  Even with a cleco in every-other hole, I can see where the “starter” kits you get from the major vendors are just not sufficient for the RV-10.  I think I have just over 1000 3/32 clecos and I think that I’m in good shape.  At this point I really don’t even care if they are new or old/rusty clecos.  They just need to work and hold the parts together.  I was using some of my clecos with Pro-seal on them from the rudder / elevators.  Doesn’t matter.

I think the only thing looking back I should have done earlier was remove the blue film from the interrior surfaces before I was assembling.  Not that it was really a big deal, but I think it would have made adjustments to the J-channel a little easier.

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *